Sunday 12th November 2023
Community Act of Remembrance
Our Scout Group (Beavers, Cubs and Scouts) have been invited to attend this important community event. It is being held on Sunday 12th November at our local war memorial at Granton Parish Church.
Additionally this year, all members and families are invited to join us for a complimentary family breakfast at the Scout Hut immediately before the service at the Church.
We’d love to see as many Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and families there as possible, so please read on….
If you are joining us for breakfast and then the service:
- We will be serving breakfast at the Scout Hut from 9.45 to 10.15.
- There will be a selection of cereals, toast, jam and butter plus a cooked option with vegetarian / vegan items.
- After breakfast (at approximately 10.30), families can make their own way to the Church – see below.
Even if you and your family cannot attend the breakfast, please join us at the Church for the Remembrance service:
- Meeting time – no later than 10.40am on Sunday 12th November.
- Meeting location – at the church gate at the junction of Boswall Parkway and Wardieburn Street East (near Granton School).
- Please wear Beaver, Cub or Scout uniform (sweatshirt/jumper, neckerchief and woggle) and a poppy if possible.
- If it is cold, it is better to wear layers underneath the uniform sweatshirt, rather than jackets over (hiding) the uniform.
- If it is raining, jackets can be worn.
- After we have met at the gate, we will all walk round to the war memorial in time for the Community Act of Remembrance which starts at 10.50am.
- We will be joined at the outdoor service by local politicians, Guides, Sea Cadets and Army Reserve Units from Claverhouse in Granton Square.
Members can be dropped off with the leaders at the Church, although we encourage parents and family groups to stay to pay their respects as well.
You may want to discuss with your child in advance the reason for the event and please be aware that we will be standing outside for about 20 minutes.
The short outdoor remembrance service will be followed by an optional Church service which takes approximately 1 hour. We encourage members and families to join the leaders who will be staying for the indoor service.
Members can either be collected again at approximately 11.10 after the outdoor service or at approximately 12.15 if they have joined us for the indoor church service as well.
If you have any questions, please reply to this E Mail or speak to the Beaver, Cub or Scout Leaders.
Group Scout Leader/Lead Volunteer